In preparation of the resumption of curling, the website is going through it's 'spring clean'.
Dates for our Province Competitions can be found on the 'fixtures' tab. The draw will be added when it is done.
As you may have seen. It is now official that Murrayfield will not reopen this season.
Ice fees will be refunded in due course. Murrayfield have requested that you consider making a 20% donation of your ice fees, which will be arranged through the clubs
Please note, refunds will be for ice fees ONLY and will not be for any affiliation or membership fees - sorry!Finally, It has been announced that the skating rink will not be renewing the lease for the bar and cafe area after 31st December 2022. This means that the balcony extension WILL be carried out before that date. A further announcement on this is expected before the end of March.
EAST LOTHIAN PROVINCE COMPETITIONS
As you will be aware due to the current COVID-19 restrictions Murrayfield Ice Rink is currently closed and will be until at least early January 2021. As a result the competitions scheduled for November and December will not go ahead as planned. Dates in January will be dependent on the restrictions being lifted and a go ahead being given by the Ice Rink, at which time the competitions may be rescheduled depending on the availability of ice.
In these difficult times it is frustrating and unfortunate that we are unable to plan with any degree of certainty for next year and clubs will have to await updates from Murrayfield and the Province once decisions have been made.
Kind regards and best wishes,
As you are no doubt aware, Murrayfield has announced that it will be closed for Curling until January 2021 - see their notice, below.
Further news will appear on this website regarding Province Competitions and the curling rink, when the information comes to hand.
Murrayfield Curling Limited
Edinburgh Curling Club
It is with considerable regret that we, Murrayfield Curling Ltd, after consultation with Edinburgh Curling Club, have made the decision to suspend curling at Murrayfield until the end of December.
This decision became inevitable after full consideration of the details emanating from the Scottish Government’s announcement on Thursday 29th October.
For some weeks, we have been awaiting the outcome of lobbying of the Scottish Government by Scottish Curling with the assistance of SIRA (Scottish Ice Rink Association) to classify us as an indoor individual exercise activity, given the extensive efforts that we, along with all curling rinks in Scotland, have introduced to create as safe an environment as that required for individual adult exercise in gyms. To date we have not been successful and as result of the requirements of the Government’s Tier 3 conditions we as a sport are limited to group exercise for under 18s only. It is unfortunate for those members below the age of 18 that they are denied access, because self evidently the economics of running an ice rink for that age group only, are not sustainable.
Despite the hope that Edinburgh City, at the date of the next review on 9th November, may be reclassified as a Tier 2 local authority, which would remove the above over 18s restriction, there is no guarantee of that being the outcome. In any event, when taken along with the fact that travel from other local authority areas that we draw our membership from, with a higher Tier status, would not be allowed, it becomes enormously uncertain how many of our members would actually be able to curl. Waiting to see if matters would improve whilst continuing to incur costly levels of expenditure to maintain the ice is not a viable option and so we felt we had no option but to take the above decision.Over the coming weeks, we will be evaluating the evolving situation with the possibility to start curling in January 2021 and we will advise you of our plans nearer that date. Those plans will be influenced by the willingness of Clubs to attempt to reschedule games already lost (and to be lost between now and December) and our ability to find ice times to match demand. We will be in touch with club secretaries over the coming days to discuss how they wish to proceed.